Thursday 17 April 2014

A Game Of Thrones night

To understand what the hoopla was all about, with regard to a certain King dying somewhere and his successor coming to power - I finally decided to experiment with the Game of Thrones series in one night. A good 2 years post it's release.
I tried to keep away from it for the same reason that I still haven't read the Harry Potter series. As soon as a popular culture artefact assumes too much popularity, I begin to despise it. This is especially true in the case of books, 'coz herd mentality affects ur judgment of the book and fails the Reader Response theory completely.
So why did I really begin the GOT?
It was certainly a conscious decision. Most of the people I know, who are my age or older/younger wouldn't shut up about it. A part of me wanted to be able to relate to the madness. But moreover, the anthropologist in me couldn't keep her curiosity under the wraps. I wanted to know what is it that the youth of today likes. What is it that catches their interest and fancy so much so that they dread GOT spoilers and can be blackmailed with the same.
Indian youth (at the cost of making a sweeping generalization) are known for being geeks who cannot think out side the box or embrace difficult genres such as magical realism. Then what was it about the show that kept them hooked?
It turns out, it is not really the generic elements that one pays heed to, when one gets to indulge in one's "id" ego.
That part of the conscience which represents the animalistic traits in us humans. To an extent, the barbaric nature of GOT plot, quenches a dormant thirst in people. The unpredictable deaths, not only symbolize the very nature of death but constantly play with the catharsis that a viewer undergoes. Which translates into the fact that even the most loved characters are only a heap of bones and flesh before a sword and an vengeful warrior.
The GOT script and plot reduces the value of life to a minimal and then asks u in the face, how far are you willing to go to win the Iron Throne?
The story is ruthless and audacious. It does not seek to glorify the historic past that we once took pride in. It doesn't leave any room for moralistic idealism. It thrives on survival-of-the-fittest theory. We have seen animals live by rule. But this is perhaps the first show that shows humans in the same light.

Well, I'm addicted for now but the critic in me doesn't let me enjoy the show in full.
Until next revelations - adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment